Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

there's a new sheriff in town...

As parents we have to deal with difficult things when it comes to raising our kids. Working parents, single parents, stay-at-home parents, or like me… stay-at-home parent with not a lot of patience. Each of these kinds of parenting comes with its own difficulties. The fact is, in general, kids are hard to raise and even harder to keep up with (at least for this almost 40 year old they are).

I can only speak of myself, the stay-at-home parent with not a lot of patience. I think I should start by saying that my kids are AWESOME and they are my life.  With that said… they can drive me pretty crazy most times. For me, the most difficult time of parenting is when I’m sick and that is how I spent last week. Sore throat, migraine headache, stuffy nose, itchy eyes, what I refer to as allergyinsanewindanitus.

For some reason when I’m sick my kids think it’s some kind of party vacation for them. It’s as if all rules put in place by me are temporarily suspended and new rules now apply. And who is in charge of making those new rules, well the self-proclaimed new person in charge, of course… Jase.  Once Jase has learned of my being sick he proceeds to tell his sisters that he is now in charge and they must follow his rules or else suffer dire consequences.

Jase-In-Charge looks something like this - he gets to decide what will be showing on the t.v., he will decide what food & drinks will be served, he will decide what toys can be played with and by whom, and from what I could tell, I think, he was implementing a bathroom schedule (either that or he was just forbidding Bryce from using that particular bathroom… ever). Of course, none of this sits well with Bryce and she loudly protests everything that Jase-In-Charge is declaring. She does this over and over and over and over again.

Jase-In-Charge declares a breakfast of sliced bread & syrup with teddy graham cookies on the side, Bryce concurs that this is a suitable breakfast, and the cookies win Sophie over. Now they are all happy and full of sugar. Side note: teachers do not love when you send your kids to school full of sugar. I know this from the number of calls I received from Jase’s teacher & the assistant principal last week. Good times.

My favorite was when Jase-In-Charge decided he would drive to who knows where and demanded his sisters get in my car and buckle up (I’m pretty sure it didn’t take much persuasion on his part). Fortunately, he knew better than to put the key in the ignition; but it didn’t stop him from repositioning every seat, mirror and air vent, turning the air-conditioner on full blast, blinker and interior lights on, and jacking up the movie player. I was one grumpy sick momma when I got in my car to take Bryce to school that morning, and Jase was one lucky kid because he was at school at the moment. 

I have to admit other than a few instances of Jase trying to pull one over on sick ol’ mom and one or two meals comprised of nothing but sugar or cheese-its,  things weren’t that difficult last week. Oh, I almost forgot, there was that one morning when Bryce and Sophie got a hold of the phone and called several people off of the caller-id list, in hopes of talking to their dad on the phone. That one was actually kinda funny… the first couple of times.

I’m just glad I’m feeling better this week and again I feel I should repeat, both for my sake and yours… I think my kids are AWESOME and they are my life.  With that said… they can drive me pretty crazy most times.

No comments:

Post a Comment